Saturday, January 16, 2010

Music: When “Popular” means “Cult”



W
henever I have the time, I like to take a look at the National Geographic website. It is worth doing it because I always find something interesting. Today was no exception. Although I was already familiar with their video section, for some reason I had so far overlooked their music videos. This morning, however, as I finally checked them out, I had a pleasant surprise. I found a comprehensive (though obviously not exhaustive) music collection from all over the world, in different styles. Among them, there were several MPB (portuguese acronym for “Brazilian Popular Music”) songs. MPB comprises various types of music that originated in the mid-1960s, borrowing elements of the Bossa Nova. It came to be known as “university music” due to the fact that many of its artists, as well as the audience, where intellectuals and students. Thus, in this case, the word “popular” must be understood in the broad sense of the term. MPB is a very rich music “style”, reflecting the multicultural environment of a country made of immigrants. Check it out and see for yourself. Here are some of the videos:


Chico Buarque - “Carioca”




Caetano Veloso - “Odeio”




Djavan - “Acelerou”




Marisa Monte - "Beija eu"




Gliberto Gil - "Soy Loco por Ti, America"



Sérgio Mendes - "Mas que nada" (with Black Eyed Peas)



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment